My client is a fast-growing healthcare company transforming health care for seniors by empowering primary-care physicians to focus on the entire health of their patients. Through its platform and unique partnership model, this brand is leading the nation in creating the system we need – one built on the value of care, not the volume of fees. We honor the independence of local physicians and serve as their long-term partners so they can be the doctors they trained to be.
The company is growing at 40+% per year and today operates in 17 markets with a network of 16+ independent medical group partners. The company’s platform supports over 1,400 primary care physicians caring for over 170,000 senior patients under 100% full-risk contracts with 15 different health plans. Recognizing the increasing pressure on physicians caused by the existing healthcare system, this company is creating a complete operating platform for risk-based provider systems that bring people, process, capital, and proprietary technology together in partnership with physicians to take responsibility for total healthcare spend.
Founded by one of the nation’s leading private equity firms in 2016, the brand currently generates $1 billion-plus in revenues.
The Vice President of Corporate Communications will be a key member of the leadership team and will develop and lead a strategically oriented internal and external communications function to meet the needs of a rapidly growing matrixed organization that operates geographically distributed market-level partnerships with the support of technology-enabled central services teams and corporate-level subject matter experts. The VP of Corporate Communications will drive value for the Company by elevating the brand with key stakeholders, including independent physician practice leaders, health plan executives, industry insiders, and other key constituents as defined. Furthermore, the role will be responsible for internal communications and serve as the right-hand of the CEO in all communication matters.
Reporting to the Chief Experience & Innovation Officer, the VP of Corporate Communications will build deep relationships and partner with the Senior Leadership Team, and its partner practices, to ensure alignment with the dynamic competitive environment and brand’s strategic direction in order to optimize internal messaging and external positioning.
Overall, the VP of Corporate Communications will be a dynamic thought partner to the CEO and Executive Leadership Team, and will anticipate and drive innovative, best in class communications tactics, management process, and human capital solutions and thought leadership to enhance the organization’s notoriety, strategic positioning, and attractiveness to future physician partners, health plans, employees, industry insiders, and other strategic constituents. In addition to serving as a trusted business partner and leader, s/he will be hands-on and will architect world-class communications tactics and processes to enable the business’s rapid growth. It is important that s/he is a builder, with a nimble, flexible, and entrepreneurial orientation.
The VP of Corporate Communications will be responsible for developing appropriate infrastructure, potentially including a mix of both in-house, freelance, and agency talent and resources.
Other key relationships include partnering with corporate and regional leaders, including the CEO’s Chief of Staff, VP of Investor Relations, and the leadership of the organic growth and business development teams to identify opportunities for thought leadership, employee engagement, and elevation of the brand.
- Identify, develop, and guide the internal and external communications strategy for the company: Responsible for overall strategic direction, guidance, and oversight of short and long-range internal and external communications plans, while ensuring integration with strategic business and financial goals, which contribute to the successful long-term growth and viability of the brand.
- Support the CEO with all internal and external messaging to position brand as a key contributor to important industry discussions, trends, and leadership circles: Serve as a key confident of the CEO in identifying, securing, and executing opportunities for key internal and external communications which elevate CEO’s personal brand, as well as the overall brand.
- Develop opportunities to secure important earned media coverage with industry trade outlets and other leading new sources: Develop industry-relevant materials to showcase brand thought leadership and identify and engage appropriate channel partners for reaching key audiences with the brand message.
- Develop strategies, collateral, channel partners, and other mechanisms to reach target audiences: Develop creative solutions to reach key stakeholders, including independent physician leaders, health plan executives, and industry insiders, which may include digital, earned media, advertising, speaking engagements to raise awareness of the brand model.
- Responsible for Intranet: Create strategic direction and execute through engagement with Enterprise and Market leaders to support a robust Intranet as a key employee engagement strategy.
- Responsible for all digital and social media strategies. Identify, create and execute all appropriate digital and social media strategies to further company reach to key internal and external audiences.
- Support other strategies of the company as requested. Significant opportunity to influence and support other areas of the company, including the physician recruitment team, organic growth team, business development team, and human resources function with best-in-class communications tactics which drive to execution of key business imperatives.
- The ability to create and articulate an inspiring vision for the corporate communications function, and the ability to articulate a value proposition for supporting a wide array of business objectives throughout the organization.
- The inclination to seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with the organization’s overall corporate communications strategy.
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new, innovative ideas that will stretch the organization and push the boundaries within the industry.
- The ability to effectively balance the desire/need for broad change with an understanding of how much change the organization is capable of handling, to create realistic goals and implementation plans that are achievable and successful.
Executing for Results
- The ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing the organization to improved performance, tenacious and accountable in driving results.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; the ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations.
- Comfort in performing high-level strategic tasks and management functions, while at the same time leaning into details to support execution.
- A risk-taker who seeks data and input from others to foresee possible threats or unintended circumstances from decisions; someone who takes smart risks.
- A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in his/her approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization.
- The ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage performance; widely viewed as a strong developer of others.
- The ability to persevere in the face of challenges and exhibit a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to higher standards, which commands respect from followers.
- A leader who is self-reflective and aware of his/her own limitations; leads by example and drives the organization’s performance with an attitude of continuous improvement by being open to feedback and self-improvement.
Relationships and Influence
- Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- An ability to inspire trust and followership in others through compelling influence, powerful charisma, passion in his/her beliefs, and active drive.
- Encourages others to share the spotlight and visibly celebrates and supports the success of the team.
- Creates a sense of purpose/meaning for the team that generates followership beyond his/her own personality and engages others to the greater purpose for the organization as a whole.
Experience and Subject Matter Expertise
- Experience working in a fast-paced communications role, managing many projects simultaneously, and engaging a wide range of stakeholders.
- Highly refined written and verbal communication skills. Expertise in digesting complex models, messages, and nuances and simplifying for appropriate audiences.
- Experience securing highly sought-after, national in-scope speaking engagements for executives at relevant conferences and other gatherings.
- Creative solutions to create news and proof points to support the articulation of the brand model in the absence of ‘obvious’ news pegs.
- Comfort with digital and social media solutions, strategies, and tactics that are aligned around strategic imperatives.
- Experience coaching executives for interviews, speaking engagements, and other public appearances to ensure crisp and effective messaging that aligns with desired outcomes.
posted by Melissa Van Rossum
This is a remote position.