MarketPro has partnered with one of the nation’s top non-profit organizations on a public relations executive search for a Senior Communications Director in Atlanta, Georgia. Join a growing, innovative, and caring organization that enriches the lives of over 4 million young people annually through membership and community outreach.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Vice President, Marketing and Communications, the Senior Communications Director is responsible for leading the organization’s brand reputation and issues management strategy under the marketing and communications division. With a background in crisis communications, you will leverage your deep understanding of and expertise in the communications industry to help define strategic approaches and ensure excellence for brand/reputation management and organizational/executive positioning. Working closely with the CEO, you will be the communications leader for the organization.
Brand Reputation and Management
- Actively engages with department leaders to build and safeguard the reputation of the brand, including in-depth understanding and risk escalation of issues and trends that could impact a national organization and reputation and performance
- Continually reassess risk associated with issues and trends in youth development, taking into account changing climates, including business, government, education, etc.
- Lead and manage crisis communication strategy and execution, and serve as primary organization spokesperson during crises, and in other situations as required.
- Ensure effective crisis management plans, policies, protocols, and resources are developed and implemented to protect the brand at national and local levels
- Serve as lead consultant on situations impacting brand reputation, including providing an immediate and accurate response and support, and implementation of communications materials (statements, letters, etc.) as needed
- Oversees engagement, budget, and management of outside consultants to ensure effective and efficient management of brand reputation-related issues
- Drives proactive training and consultation to increase organization expertise, including leading out programs as part of Executive Leadership Development program, national and regional conferences and local marketing resources and training related to effective and best-in-class communication and public relations strategy
Issues Strategy and Management
- Ability to understand, analyze and consult executive leadership on positioning and response for the organization and key issues and trends affecting the national organization
- Serves as key leader in strategic process related to positioning around issues and trends that impact public opinion and trust; role includes monitoring, prioritization of issues, understanding outcomes, engaging stakeholders and leading final consensus and communications actions
- Anticipates and identifies issues and emerging trends that may have an impact on the brand, includes the areas of government, philanthropy, youth development, business functions, public affairs, community affairs, etc.
- Works collaboratively with cross-functional leadership to ensure issues are researched and appropriately handled in accordance with issues and reputation management protocols
- Provides insight, analysis and counsel to executive leadership on communications strategy and appropriate response for issues that arise and situations associated with highly sensitive and confidential corporate communications initiatives and projects
- Possess experience and track record of averting media crises and mitigation
- Possess a network of media contacts/relations to call upon for support and comment as needed
Organization and Executive Positioning
- Drives opportunities to expand organizational and executive positioning, working seamlessly with department, leaders to execute communications strategies that positively advance the organization as a thought leader in youth development, via channels including original research, publishing, social media, and traditional print/broadcast properties
- Oversees platform strategy for senior leadership team engagement to ensure brand visibility and alignment with external platforms and issues
- Proactively seeks external speaking and influencer opportunities, including the development of a strategy for messaging, speeches, engagement at forums and meetings, advocacy partnerships and positioning pieces that deliver on key messages
- Oversees the development of CEO scripts and speeches, multi-media presentations, key messages, talking points, and background information
- Partners with Marketing and company divisions to the development and execution of forceful and impactful storylines that drive brand’s position as a thought leader in youth development, including key topics, resulting in broad awareness across the Movement and key constituencies
- Oversees execution of brand messaging that positions organization on key issues and topics across all department and functional areas to ensure a consistent message and content to drive awareness and understanding with key audiences
- Advises on opportunities to expand organization and ability to be positioned as thought leaders in youth development via channels including original research, publishing, social media and traditional print/broadcast properties
- Hire, train, supervise, evaluate and develop assigned staff according to company’s policies and procedures, consulting Human Resource staff as indicated
- Perform special projects as assigned by the SVP and CEO
- Supervises the Communications Department under Marketing and Communications; direct reports include the Communications Director and Director of External Communications, along with 3 support staff.
- Minimum of 10-15 years of experience, including management responsibilities
- Advanced degree(s) in a related area or 10 years or more of evaluated experience desired
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, business administration and/or similar degree preferred
- Established experience working with C-Suite and Board level personnel, and in crisis situations
- Proven track record in managing through complex issues to desired outcome
- Experience in multi-local affiliated or franchised organizations is preferred, with an understanding of best practices to influence independent operations and gain collective ownership and consensus with varied sized affiliates
This is a full-time direct hire.