Are you a B2B marketing executive with a proven track record of success accelerating growth while leveraging modern marketing best practices such as Account Based Marketing to drive aggressive demand generation goals?
This is a rare opportunity for a dynamic, strategic yet hands-on marketing executive to help a fast-growing private equity firm to achieve superior marketing results.
About Our Client
Our client is a global private equity firm focused on acquiring growing businesses valued at up to $400 million. Since its founding, this PE has invested in more than 550 transactions. The Firm is a generalist investor with a strategic focus on Business Services, Consumer Brands, Education & Training, Franchisors, Healthcare, Software & IT, and Specialty Manufacturing & Distribution. The firm employs more than 200 professionals who work with more than 75 portfolio companies on four continents. The Firm manages over $8 billion in capital across several fund families and its investors include the world’s leading pension funds, endowments, funds of funds, insurance companies, and banks.
Key to its success is its proprietary business system known as the Manifesto. The Manifesto, which has been painstakingly crafted and continuously iterated over 15 years, is a proven collection of processes and best-practices that are rigorously applied by Operating Partners on all portfolio companies. This standardized operating approach is core to the Fund’s market leading performance. The CMO in Residence would be integrally involved in implementation and future shaping of the Manifesto.
We are hiring a CMO in Residence for its Operating Team with specific skills in driving growth and implementing marketing and demand generation best practices. This marketing executive search role will be a senior leader on a newly formed Sales Excellence team which will be comprised of five Managing Directors (three focused more generally on Sales Excellence and two on Marketing & Demand Generation), one Director – Sales Talent, one Director – Sales Operations & Systems and one Manager, Sales Operations and Systems. This Sales Excellence team will work across the portfolio and engage with other deal team members.
Responsibilities of include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with both deal teams and portfolio company management teams to influence and drive change to ultimately increase the value of portfolio companies
- Collaborate with other members of Sales Excellence team to create repeatable and scalable processes across the portfolio
- Represent the firm and our operational knowledge, capability, and sophistication when working with portfolio company management.
- Participate in the evaluation and due diligence for new platform investments as well as add-on acquisitions, with a specific focus on marketing and demand generation. This would include assessment of a company’s current demand generation strategy, data analysis to review lead sources, determination of cost per lead, close rate, etc. across different channels, and assessment of company’s current third-party marketing and demand generation vendors.
- Identify any gaps between the company’s financial projection and lead flow.
- Review operations of new deal opportunities with transacting colleagues and provide summary feedback that will be used to inform the investment thesis.
- Assess existing marketing and demand generation staff at portfolio companies.
- Lead hiring for marketing and demand generation executives and staff.
- Mentor the VP Marketing/ CMOs at portfolio companies.
- Implement sustainable processes to track and measure marketing spend and ROI.
- Work with all key constituents to develop sustainable procedures to ensure adequate lead flow that aligns with the portfolio company’s sales growth objectives. Take a hands-on and directive role in the development of portfolio company inbound and outbound marketing strategies including, as appropriate for the situation:
- Website assessment and strategy development
- Search engine optimization
- Pay-per-click marketing
- Social media strategy
- Inside sales and telemarketing strategy, including list generation and activity tracking KPI’s
- Direct marketing / email marketing
- Contract terms, support and services, and finalizing the purchase process.
- Field, Customer, Product and Partner Marketing Program development
- Agency Management
- Account Based Marketing Programs
- Content and Campaign Strategy and Execution
- Development and measurement of outbound marketing campaigns
- Develop relevant marketing collateral to support sales
- Create systems to score leads and ensure prioritization of opportunities which will lead to greatest success.
Systems and Reporting
- Develop clear and concise demand generation reporting systems to enable growth
- Work with all constituents, including information technology professionals to improve and enhance usage of technology to drive repeatability and scalability
- Take a leadership role in the selection and implementation of marketing automation tools
15+ years in Sales and Marketing/ Demand Generation Leadership, including:
- Experience building effective sales and marketing organizations, including support functions that enable improvements in efficiency and effectiveness.
- Experience with multiple channels (direct, telemarketing, team selling, wholesalers, resellers, etc.) to serve various market segments.
- Deep understanding of Brand Strategy, Planning, Positioning and Messaging
This is a full-time direct hire.